Things to know when dealing with Covid 19 in your childcare service

Our blog this week contains helpful links and reminders for a childcare service dealing with a confirmed case of Covid19 in their service.

*updated 21st January 2022*

We have had a lot of enquiries this week about the rules for close contacts, as everyone is aware the guidance regarding Covid 19 has changed frequently over the last month in particular.

Please note:
- The guidance from HSE regarding close contacts has changed on 14th January 2022, you can view the most recent guidance here:

- The HPSC  Infection Prevention and Control guidance for Early Learning and Care and School Age Childcare settings includes advice on managing pods, vaccination and masking for staff, cleaning and so on.

- The temporary student employment scheme is operating, and may help provide relief in terms of staffing - see and these FAQs for more information. Please note that students applying for temporary permission to practice can also apply for a general (not time limited) letter for eligibility to practice (see: If you wish to advertise a vacancy for a childcare student under the temporary arrangement scheme you can contact us to place an ad on the MyCCC portal, email

Please be aware that the latest guidance from the HPSC for childcare settings is available at:

This page is updated when government guidance changes. The isolation quick guides provide a very useful reference for childcare services.

FAQs for schools, early learning and childcare and school-age childcare managers or those hosting sports/social activities for children aged 3 months to less than 13 years, or in primary school
Quick Guide for Schools/Childcare Facilities - Management of cases and close contacts of COVID-19

Other useful resources include:

First 5 Digital Covid Pack, ( particularly: Checklist for ELC and SAC suspected and confirmed cases 06/01/2022 [Download Here]

Tusla notification form: When there is a Covid case in your service you should notify Tusla using this form:

Good to know: Illness or Self-Isolation payment due to Covid 19

As always you can call us on  045861307 for help or advice. At weekends or on bank holidays you can call the national CCC helpline: 1800 940 341 (details below)

If you require public health advice the HSE have a dedicated phone line for ELC/SAC services: 01 5119777


The KCCC team